About the ZocLaw.com Scholarship
ZocLaw.com is the online consumer bankruptcy division of Shipkevich PLLC with the goal of providing stellar legal counsel to individuals who are crippled by insurmountable debt. By combining seasoned attorneys with cutting-edge technology, we offer convenient, affordable and professional bankruptcy filing services to our clients. Often times, we receive inquiries from individuals buried under student loan debt. While bankruptcy law makes it extremely difficult to discharge student loan debt, we at ZocLaw.com would like to do our part in solving this trillion dollar problem by offering a scholarship to a deserving student.
Applicants must write a 3,000 word essay or upload a YouTube video responding to the prompt below:
- Currently, the requirements for a student pursue a career as a lawyer involves obtaining a bachelor’s degree, scoring well on the LSAT, completing law school at an accredited institution and passing the bar exam. However, there is one key component missing: the requirement to fulfill an internship prior to graduating from law school. In order to graduate from medical school, one has to successfully complete a rigorous internship. Should this internship requirement that teaches important lessons such as conflict management, effective communication skills and the ability to work as a team also be a requirement for prospective lawyers? In your response, please provide a compelling stance either supporting or opposing the inclusion of an mandatory internship for prospective lawyers prior to taking the bar exam.
- Submissions will be evaluated based on thoughtfulness, originality, and quality of writing.
- The scholarship will be awarded to the applicant with genuine goals and responses. Applicants must demonstrate good character, dedication and high initiative.
- Submissions must be complete and include all recipient contact information.
- The scholarship award of $1,000 will be applicable to tuition or other education-related expenses with a check payable to the educational institute of the recipient.
- Recipient must be currently enrolled into an accredited college or university pursuing a degree and provide proof of enrollment.
- Recipient must be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Recipient must reflect academic achievement with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Submission of an application grants ZocLaw.com permission to post or display the winning entry on all affiliated firm websites and marketing platforms, including but not limited to, blogs, social media accounts, and related sites. Names or other identifying information will not attached to posts without the applicant’s written consent.
Terms and Conditions
Shipkevich PLLC offers the ZocLaw.com scholarship award to students in the 50 United States and District of Columbia. This scholarship opportunity is open to legal permanent residents of the United States as well as the District of Columbia. Entrants are required to be currently accepted and enrolled into an accredited college or university program. The Scholarship will only be awarded to the winning contestant upon providing proof registration. Those entrants who have who have been accepted into a program, but have not yet registered or enrolled are required to register in order to receive the scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the entry being forfeited.
Entry into the scholarship competition is available at www.zoclaw.com (the “Website”). All participants are required to submit either an original 90-120 seconds video or a 3000 word essay based on the prompt provided. The video or essay will not be permitted to contain work (in whole or in part), which is the subject of a trademark, brand name or copy right of a third party. Any videos or written submissions that contain nudity, profanity, hate speech; illegal conduct or gratuitous violence will be automatically eliminated from the competition. Furthermore, any submissions that portray a negative image and goodwill of Shipkevich PLLC will not be considered. A video or essay may not be edited, modified or replaced by the entrant. The video or essay must represent original work by the entrant. After the submission of an essay or video, Shipkevich PLLC is granted the perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide right to publish, display, distribute and create derivative work of the essay or video in any medium or format. Group, joint or team entries are prohibited. To enter the scholarship contest, please visit the website to access the entry form.
Judging of Entries
- Finalists’ entries will be submitted to a Shipkevich PLLC Scholarship Board. Solely at the discretion of the board, a winner will chosen based on the following criteria: originality, creativity, and accuracy of the response to the prompt. The Board’s decision is final.
- Prizes may not be transferred unless otherwise indicated or by obtaining written permission from Shipkevich PLLC. Winners are completely responsible for taxes on prize(s) as well as any expenses not indicated pertaining to the use and acceptance of the prize(s). The winner will be issued with an IRS Form 1099. Shipkevich PLLC reserves the right to contact the school directly. The entrant should provide documents relating to the accreditation of the school promptly.
By participating in this scholarship competition, all entrants: (a) Agree to all official rules and decision made by the Scholarship Board and its agents on all matters. All decisions are final and binding; (b) indemnify, release and hold harmless Shipkevich PLLC and its employees and officers, as well as YouTube and Facebook, from all and any liabilities, losses or damages of any sort whatsoever (including but not limited to infringement of copyright, trademark as to the failure of Shipkevich PLLC or any of its agents to monitor or screen finalists’ videos or essays before posting them online.) resulting in whole or part from any of their participation in the competition and the use and acceptance of prize(s), (c) if the winner consents (except) where prohibited by law) to the use of their essay submission or video for publicity and advertising purposes by Shipkevich PLLC, in its sole discretion, of its services and products and for the promotion of Shipkevich PLLC.; (d) represent that the video or essay is their original and sole work and does not infringe on the copyright, trademark or any such rights on any other party. All entrants hereby agree that Shipkevich PLLC or its officers and agents will not bear any responsibility for lost, late or misdirected entries, or for omission, error, interruption, delay in transmission, destruction or theft or unauthorized alterations or access of entry materials, or for network, technical, computer, software, hardware malfunctions of any nature or a lack of accuracy in transmission of or failure of Shipkevich PLLC and its agents and officers to receive entries for any reason or for any mishaps, errors, irrespective of the cause in the operation of the competition. If Shipkevich PLLC determines that the integrity of the competition has been compromised for any reason whatsoever, and as a result may not be completed or offered as planned, Shipkevich PLLC (pending any governmental approval that may be required) reserves all rights in its discretion to terminate or cancel the competition or to select those finalists from eligible finalists received prior to the occurrence causing the termination or cancellation. A notice of cancellation will be posted on www.zoclaw.com. The inability of Shipkevich PLLC to enforce any terms of these Official Rules in any given circumstance does not constitute the waiver of such terms.
The competition shall be interpreted and governed by the internal Law of the State Of New York (that is, excluding the conflict-of -law/conflict – of-principles) and any legal action pertaining to the competition shall be brought on a federal or state court located in New York. Legal action must be brought individually in all other circumstances, and not as part of class action. Note that the participant will to recover his/her out of pocket costs in association with participation in the competition and waives any right to claim any additional damages (including but not limited to incidental, compensatory, incidental, punitive or consequential damages).
If you would like to obtain a copy of the official rules, please send a self addressed envelope to:
C/O Scholarship Committee
65 Broadway, Suite 508
New York, NY, 10006